The main objective of the Central Records and Archives Department is to supervise the institutional documents, records and archives management operation and function within the Namibia University of Science and Technology.
1. Administration and Management of the Central Records and Archives Department:
- Act as custodian of the institutional memory of the Namibia University of Science and Technology, its students, staff and stakeholders.
- Represent the interest of the Namibia University of Science and Technology and to serve as a primary source of historical information.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures for the corporate documents, records and archives management programme of the institution.
- Adhere to information security classification and de-classification procedures.
2. Development and Management of a Records Management Programme and Strategy for the institution:
- Ensure that record keeping and records management practices effectively meet the vision, mission and objectives of the institution.
- Manage information and records as an institutional resource and ensure that the institution complies with all the applicable national legislation and requirements of the Archives Act 12 of 1992.
3. Ensure compliance with organisational standards for Records Management in all Schools, Centres and Administrative Departments:
- Develop and maintain links with Schools, Centres and Administrative Departments.
- Ensure adherence to document and records classification best practices to facilitate effective filing and retrieval.
- Keeping documents and records in safe custody.
- Monitor customer satisfaction of the Records Management Services provided.
4. Administrative & Technical Support Services:
- Consult with Schools, Administrative Support and Computer Services Bureau on destruction procedures for paper based materials.
- Liaise with an external Service Provider for the recycling of waste paper resulting from archival appraisal and selection.
- Liaise closely with staff of BCS during the selection and evaluation of appropriate EDRMS packages considered for implementation.
- Liaise with the National Archives of Namibia to obtain disposal authorities for the legal destruction of official records according to prescribed procedures.
- Manage the provision of off-site storage services for the institutions vital records.
5. Student Services:
- Assist with the capturing of applications for admission and biographical data.
- Collection of student documentation for filing.
- Verification of student data for promotional purposes.
6. Student Records
- Keeping and updating of Student Records
- Liaising with other Departments concerning student data
7. Registry and Postal Services
Manage, control and supervise the registry and Postal Services Unit in order to provide effective registry and postal services for the Namibia University of Science and Technology staff.